Coachs Golf and Grill

 

Legendary Stagecoach Golf Course – est. 1928

Stagecoach Golf Course (Coach’s Golf & Grill) is found in West Point Township, Section 29, just north of Lena, Illinois. The land was owned in 1871 by a J. Acker, then reported in 1894 and 1913 to be owned by William Shellhasse (later Shellhouse). The quarry first documented as being on site in 1894 at the Shellhasse property. This estate was listed as 107.5 acres.

There is also evidence of 77.16 acres of the property having been owned by Wm. M. Rote in the 1930 time frame. The property was then purchased by the Lena Golf Club which started operation as Stagecoach Golf Course in 1928. Although it is very difficult to identify exactly where Stagecoach ranks relative to age of other golf courses in Illinois, it’s founding corporation is currently 36th among golf courses in the state of Illinois making Stagecoach Golf Course truly legendary and historic  Other history is included in The Centennial History of the Lena Volunteer Fire Department, including historical sketches of the Lena community, 1869-1969, by the Lena (Ill.) Fire Department 1969. There is a picture of the course taken near the pond, with the water tower right of center in the photo. The entry states that the course was opened July 4, 1928, on a 40 acre tract of land on the northwest edge of the city. It also had a swimming pond (the quarry) that was enjoyed by local residents. The book indicates that a demonstration of the town’s new fire engine was held near the water tower and at the golf course pond on August 28, 1930. The book also states that the then new white Chevrolet fire truck was tested at the pond of Stagecoach Golf Course in 1941. 

The History of Stephenson County, 1970, edited by Mary X. Barrett (Freeport, IL: County of Stephenson, 1970) regarded Stagecoach as what many regard as one of the sportiest nine-hole courses in northern Illinois. After leasing two different sites, the Lena Golf Club purchased in 1928 the forty-acre William Rote farm, containing the water-filled old stone quarry long known to the boys of the village as ‘the Pond.’ With this water hole as the nucleus, a beautiful park-like golf course has been maintained through the years. The former clubhouse near the Lena-Galena Road had grown through several remodels from the original building in 1928 to include significant remodels in the late 1930’s and again in the 1940’s. 

In October 2004, the Lena Golf Club sold the 53 acre property to Steve and Andrea Magee, formerly of Stockton, IL.  Steve, Andrea and their four kids (Tanner, McKenzie, Peyton and Parker) have poured time and investment to update all aspects of the business.  The clubhouse was totally renovated and opened for business in the spring of 2005 – dba Coach’s Golf & Grill.  The renovation focused on a much more open design for family and friend gatherings and original opened as Lena’s only non-smoking dining facility in Lena.  Andrea continues to manage all aspects of the business which employs local residents and many High School students.

Stagecoach Golf Course continues to provide golf enjoyment for all ages. The course provides a niche in the Lena area for young golfers trying to master the game, beauty and challenges for the experienced golfers and the flexibility to customize golf outings for groups of any size. While we work to encourage golf education and etiquette, our rules remain simple; have the most fun possible while respecting the golf course and other players.